5.07.2006

To Spoil

I have been thinking about my recent post/rant about the unfairness of how women and men are treated differently in certain cultures or societies. Although, I admit to spoiling my hubby more than I ever thought that I would spoil a man, I don't want to end up spoiling my son (God Willing).

Some parents may fear that they are de-emasculating their sons by making them do “women” chores. I think that it is a disservice, especially in this Western society, to not encourage both boys and girls to have an equal share in the upkeep of their family home. Children will likely go off to college and/or live outside of their parent’s home prior to being married, and they need to know how to care for themselves and their living spaces. These boy children will marry women who are most likely their equal in terms of educational levels attained and achievement o professional dreams. It is our responsibility as parents to prepare our boys to support their professional women, that is if that is who they choose to marry, on all levels including doing their equal share of the upkeep of the household.

When a working man fully supports the working wife, then he contributes to the overall happiness of the marriage by making the woman feel valued and respected. He alleviates stress levels and freeing up time which in turns allows for more love, care and passion.

My hubby is usually pretty good (I'm being pretty liberal with this compliment) at doing his share of responsibilities, but he loses all common sense when his mum is around.

What do the parents think? Do you find yourself treating your boy children differently? Is it a conscious effort; if so, why?

3 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger Surviving said...

I definately plan on teaching my boys to cook, clean, do laundry, etc. I think it is important that they learn to do all of these things so that they will be able to help out around the house when they are grown and married.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Aisha said...

For sure. My brothers had duties just like I did. We alternated our chores and there was none reserved just for "girl" or "boy". My hubby was raised that way and its annoying but ALHAMDULLILAH he's a great guy who just went ahead and took on additional roles once he got married. His mother and friends who've known how he was raised always marvel. Whichi s kinda sad because its' what he should do anyhow.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger mystic-soul said...

There is another reason, "we boys" don't touch household chores while parents around. We don't want to be seen as we are "biwi ke ghulam" ! (servant of wife). That what I have seen with my desi boys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home