5.05.2006

Boys will be Boys

I think I was a little perturbed when I last wrote. It was not to suggest that my MIL is on my case about having a baby. She knows better than to rock the boat with my hubby, her dear son. He has clearly stated to her and the SILs that it is our business. So MIL has joked a few times about it, but she is careful to say it in front of N.

It really is my SILs who cannot end a phone conversation without commenting or questioning the baby factor. We are not anywhere near ready to begin trying. Heck, if anything, my MILs presence will kill any shot of pregnancy possibilities. Her room is right next to ours….. Boy oh boy.

Speaking of preferential status. Since I have dropped the honeymoon eyes and donned the wifely eyes, I have come to notice just how spoiled my hubby is by his Mum and how much he eats up her attention. Big surprise, huh? I just find the preferential status toward boys a bit disturbing-don’t you?

I mean, even though my MIL is kid-hearted and supportive and cooks almost every night, she still has biases on expectations. Both hubby and I work 50+ hours per week. I just so happen to make ½ of hubby’s salary (social service field). But, I am still expected to do dishes, laundry, trash, etc., etc. Of course I do this without pitching a fit while biting my tongue as to show respect and appreciation for my dear MIL, but it eats me up inside that my work and my value will never equal his and I will always be reduced to a homemaker in one way or another.

My mother is not this way. She raised my brother and myself equally. We were each expected to work and we each did our chores, split down the middle. Some weeks I did trash and lawn and he was folding our underwear.

Arghhhh. It is so frustrating. I am just so grateful to be working and very busy at that. I could not survive being home and being coached as a homemaker for 10+ hours a day.

Vent, vent, vent… She never, ever asks him to do a thing, but I get asked all the time. And of course she wants to talk when we come home. So hubby is allowed his time alone to relax and unwind and I am expected to come in the door with full smiles. Arghhhh. Breathe in, breathe out.

Boys will be boys and Mothers will let them.

6 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's a power game too. Mums know sons are commodities (wage earners, providers of future homes for elderly parents etc), so they treat them with more care in many cultures.

At the same time, men/sons are often less patient, so MILs can't rely on them as much to "talk" as you said.

Sorry, bajidance :( It's a tough situation. I hope it gets easier.

hugs.

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger mystic-soul said...

fair or not fair..thats how the desi culture is..

just ride the wave..it will be over soon.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Aisha said...

I know how that feels. I go to his house and we're ALL sitting and who gets asked to get up and do this and that EVERY SINGLE TIME? ME. Um this is your son's home but his wife is in charge of doing the same things he could do? It seems a little unfair Sometimes I glare at him as I'm unlaoding the dishwasher but he just kinda smiles and goes back to his television. Which is odd becaues at our house its all mostly half and half and when his parents visit at our house he is very attentive and helpful. Somethin happens at his folks house. He ets so relaxed. :)

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger mystic-soul said...

I think you gals got caught between 2 cultures. In desi cultures gals are expected to take over household stuff like boys are expected to be 'mama boys' (they call it respect) !!

Life is not fair.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Baji said...

Hello Shabana, Aisha and Mystic-
I have added another two cents on my thoughts to this. I will try my darndest to not keep up the tradition.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger The DP said...

Salam
I am so tired of being reduced to homemaker myself. Sigh. Subhan Allah. Feel your pain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home