11.02.2005

Chaalo

Last week N and I drove one of our cars and some of our belongings to our new home. In true Pakistani style, we did not depart until 3 pm which meant arriving at 4 am. You know what, I really can’t complain, because I think night-time driving just might be the way to go. On the way I got a call from a prospective employer and an interview was arranged for the following day at 10 am. Nothing like a three hour nap before an interview!

On the way to the interview, the cabby was saying all kinds of bad things about the agency and trying to dissuade me from going there. He was saying how bad the conditions were for the clients and how dirty the place was, etc. I was a bit skeptical going in. Once inside, I was surprised to see how clean and well organized everything seemed. Everyone from low level to high level staff to clients seemed to get along with one another. The overall energy felt very positive. I think the interview went well. The job will be interesting and aligned with my previous experiences, but definitely more low- key and stable. If offered, I think I will take it (I need something a little slower for right now).

So we got the keys to the new place. It is awesome. I have space to store kitchen gadgets plus a washer and dryer. Wahooo! The new place also has a second bathroom off the guest room which will be awesome for our long-term guests like my in-laws and my Mom.

I was pretty sad about leaving my family and friends, but I am accepting it now and putting on my brave face. Life with N is a blessed one and we will, Inshallah, be traveling many places and experiencing many wonderful things.

Chaalo
Let’s Go

Marked separation from sense of place,
and familiarity of one’s tribal space

Clear allegiance in our pledge to be dear wife,
a sense of knowing in their strife

Of boys of young who left homeland for a piece of the pie,
and grapple between their mother’s cries and opportunistic skies

1 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, Blogger Baji said...

Hey thanks. I can't comment on your blog- what's up with that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home