10.05.2005

Ramadan Mubarak

Today was the first day of Ramadan-whew! So Ramadan Mubarak to everyone. I have decided to fast. It is strange to do so completely alone-meaning no hubby and no family or friends to share the experience with. Basically you are not to eat, drink or smoke from sunrise to sunset. Also, “unpure” or anger-provoked thoughts are discouraged.

The technicalities: You are supposed to check the times of sunrise and sunset each day and fast accordingly. Most people wake up very early to have a breakfast and lots of liquids before sunrise. I did that today and then went back to sleep. The rest of the day was without anything. Around 7:00 tonight I broke fast by myself; this is iftar. I felt so awful from 5:00 on. I just lie there waiting for time to pass and challenging myself to not have pity and to stay positive and to count my blessings. It is amazing how quickly one can change their outlooks after just a few hours of thirst and hunger.

Fasting makes me feel good in so many ways. It makes me realize how spoiled we can be and how we take advantage of our privilege to eat and drink at any time we feel like. I imagine what it must be like for the less fortunate. When fasting, you begin the day by asking God/Allah to accept your attempt to fast. When you close you thank him for allowing you to succeed. I am now officially open and seeking spirituality. I realize that I am not going to be hit on the side of the head with a miracle. I must make the effort; for it is an extension of myself. You get what you ask for, right?

After feeling so miserable, you stat to refuel and feel normal again throughout the evening. It is then that you feel better about yourself and the gesture you made in Allah’s name. I begin to see life with new eyes so-to-speak. It is also a great feeling to know that so many millions of people all over the world are doing this act from Iraq to Bangladesh to Australia to the woman in the car next to you.

I am so blessed to have this life!

3 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger Tara said...

Ramadan Mubarak to you!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog - I appreciate it. I've added you to my list on my blog of "Blogs I read" hope ya don't mind. :-)

Take care!

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Baji said...

No I don't mind- I love visitors!

Allhamdallilah, I am so happy that you and your loved ones are okay.

I wish I knew how to add "Blogs I Read". I am wiiide open to some pointers :-)

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Tara said...

If you go into your template and change where it says Links on your sidebar - you can change it to "Blogs I read" or whatever you like. :-) Then if you follow the guide for "Edit-Me" that is how you can add some links to other blogs, etc. It's so hard to explain on here!! Ughhhh!!!! Work with it and see if what I said makes sense!

Take care!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home