9.29.2005

Unis

Unis or Hijras were traditionally hermaphrodites cast out of society. Today, many are gay transvestites. Homosexuality is strictly forbidden, but somehow men dressing as women is acceptable and pitied. Also, some of these men were castrated boys that were victims of cult-like violence or punished for being found guilty of a homexual act.

Check out this link:http://www.ars-rhetorica.net/Queen/Volume11/Articles/IntroDennis.html

All in all, they were very outgoing-in-your face, which both amused and surprised me. One person in particular latched onto me and kept exclaiming to me, "Mona Lisa, I love your smile!" Everytime thearafter when I went to the market, he would remember me and continue with his exclamation.

Wish I had some photos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home