9.16.2005

Take Off

One of the reasons for my creating a journal was to share the experience of my first trip to Pakistan. Below is my first entry.

December 13, 2004After much fear, contemplation, and anxiety, we have finally arrived. We landed in N’s homeland on 13-12-04. For some mysterious reason or another, N and I were bumped up to first class on the last leg from Dubai to Karachi. That was such a marvelous surprise! The seats were huge and each had a foot rest and were equipped with their own personal t.v. The stewardesses each catered to us with such deliberate care. One could only imagine that this was the way it used to be back in the days. Our meal was served on fresh linen, china and real silverware.

Once we stepped off the plane, there was a middle-aged chap standing there with a sign listing N’s full name. He shook N’s hand and took our cases from our hands and motioned us onward. From that point on we moved, or shuffled, from one point to another. Quickly we moved from point to point with at least five “chaps” meeting us at designated point along the way. Each was obviously taking the assigned task VERY seriously. The movement was so fluid and surreal that I felt like an actress performing in an airport scene. Because my mind was at complete ease and all my actions were left in the hands of others, I was able to completely enjoy my star role.Quickly we were whisked past the hour-long line for customs; straight towards baggage. “Madam, please sit.” So I did-long enough to smile at the fact that I just experienced the fruits of protocol. I thought the people in the line must be thinking, “Who is she?” or rather, “Why does SHE get privilege?” I marveled at the orderly chaos of the airport. The chain of command between the workers was very interesting to witness. I laughed about the fact that I am used to doing the job of 12 people and it seemed as though 12 people alone were assigned to the task of “capturing” our precious cargo from the carousel. And, even so, we still walked away from the whole ordeal minus one piece of luggage.

Outside, my beautiful new family was waiting. They greeted me with such enthusiasm and warmth, that I knew that I was not here as a tourist, but for a homecoming.Into the jeep, the driver quickly whisked us away through the pre-dawn streets of Karachi. The mystery and surprise of arriving to a foreign land in the middle of the night was awesome. A police guard was the head of the caravan and quickly we moved- passing through all the red lights. The guards and the servant family were so happy to see us and were much more outgoing than I expected. Zahida had bought us the most beautiful flowers. The whole family has been so busy getting ready for N’s arrival. Here we sit in the room in which he spent some of his childhood. Wow.

2 Comments:

At 2:11 AM, Blogger Baji said...

oops that's me. I am having so many problems viewing my posts and comments. Any suggestions appreciated.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger SR said...

u shud definitely write more abt ur trip- im curious to read it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home