10.28.2006

After Thought

A very, very belated Eid Mubarak to everyone. This Ramadan was the most beautiful, yet. DH and I had an unusual and non-traditional Eid. We ended up eating out and then going to the museum and then to a movie. DH made nihari and halva for day two, yum!

One thing that was of concern… While fasting, I was obviously impaired on a moderate level with lower energy levels and slowed response times to the daily work-related crisis and a dulled sense of creativity. A month of this clearly impacts my program at some level, despite the fact that it is just one month out of twelve; it does affect staff, programs and ultimately the participants. What do you think? Does your fasting, which is a very personal and selfish, albeit spiritual act, negatively impact your surroundings, clients, customers, work-output, patients, staff, etc?

It is especially difficult in a Westernized country whereas Muslims are the minority and the working hours and expectations do not change because of Ramadan. No one at work knew I was fasting either and I felt it selfish and rude to explain it as a means for justification for less than par behavior and work standards and besides I didn’t wasn’t to be a braggart. How do you handle it?

7 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger Aisha said...

Hm. I have to admit I had a very very difficult time concentrating on studying. Infact, the entire month was a loss as far as my ability to get any type of studying done. So I think it was not selfish in the way that it negatively impacted. To be honest, my mom does not fast during the school days b/c she found that she was not giving aas much to the children as she could when fasting and so she doesnt because of that and gives the payment. I dont know how that works or not. But its what she does.;

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Aisha said...

PS: your blog is posted twice.

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger mystic-soul said...

It will get better year by year...so keep it up !!

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger The DP said...

Salam alaikoum
I believe what Mystic soul said, it gets better with each year. I have hypoglycemia and strangely enough I actually have MORE energy during Ramadan. The only time where I am tired and not really creative is right before breaking fast. Really, it does get better.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Baji said...

Yes, I do think that it gets better with time. Huh, strange phenomana seeing as it couldn't be sciedtific-based Ie your internal body clock doesn't remember fasting the year before.... I just hope that I am not hurting others who are depending on me...

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger mystic-soul said...

That what training of fasting is all about ...to make sure that nobody gets hurt even if you are not at your best.

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, i just came across your blog, so happy belated eid to you too. I find my ramadan's to be the contrary. I am more energized and active and alert at work. I work for a fortune 500 company in downtown chicago, wear hijab, and have no muslims around me.

Ramadan has not always been this "easy." I try to work within my limitations. With 4 hour commute, i could not make any organized taraweeh. So we taraweehed at home. No problem. I also found getting up for suhur and staying up and starting my day to be a great benefit. I think that kick starts a good fasting day for me. I find that on weekends, where i sometimes sleep in, that i am sluggish and lazy. I also find that the days in which i miss suhur are the worst. I cant stand missing it! That's just me. The point being, i guess, figure out what works for you and stick with it. If sluggish days aint workin for you, find what does (even if it means more work in the short run, ultimately, you'll feel better about your days).

But generally physically speaking, when the stomach is not full of food, the body is spending less energy in that region and gives the person extra energy. It's all about mining that energy.

take care, ws, Nadia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home