10.28.2006

Aggressive Tendencies

I hate that I am weak and cannot say what it is I want with confidence. Hell, if I don’t believe it, who will? I recognize a need to stop my passive-aggressive tendencies. I fear being labeled as an aggressor; I can no longer be passive.

The worlds of my universe seem to be colliding and I must play air traffic controller lest one problem will be assumed into another.

My husband and I have been dancing to a strange tune lately. The record plays round and round, but never seems to end. I feel the pull physically, psychologically, chronologically and logically in the direction of starting the family. Hubby is going through his own motions. He feels a pull in the opposite direction. He clearly isn’t ready for the fatherhood chapter; that coupled with my own fear, leaves a lot of room for ambiguity. The tug-O-war of passive aggressiveness is as follows: he wants me to say with certainty that a child is what I want. He is testing me in some ways. On the other hand I want for him to want it, too. I want him to console and quell my fears. I want for him t feel my pain of the clock rather than make me feel bad for the omnipresent tick-tock. We clearly are not on the same page.

I have a fear of stating my innate desires aloud. I want what he wants. I want him to be a man and take this step. I am saddened that he expects me to shoulder the burden, yet doesn’t validate my fears of further putting off pregnancy and of my fears of loss of energy with age. I feel he is being selfish, but fear saying it out loud. Yet, I think he needs for me to take charge because of his fears.

Colliding on the right hemisphere is the big white elephant: my brother. A recent visit home has disturbed me to a point of no return. I am sick with sadness and anger over the choices he is making. I cannot play nice anymore. I know I have to take care of me and confront my fears surrounding his illness which parallels my father’s abandonment. My father’s suicide is me and is ingrained in every fiber of my being without my knowledge of it being so. I cannot face my brother because he is the ghost of my father. Yet, I cannot ignore it any longer, for my sanity, his health and for the love for my mother. I am once again called upon to take charge and to play “I spot the white elephant in the room”, because there is no one else. All my life I have waited for my Mom, an Aunt, an Uncle, someone to bail us out and it never materialized. I must show my true feelings at any cost as to stop this fairytale and save my mother from her imprisonment of self-blame. I must release my brother even though it means ripping hearts out of place.

I face similar challenges at work in my role as the leader of a fairly-sizable non-profit program.

I feel my whole world is waiting for me to mature and say, “I’ve had enough. I need this… I will not tolerate that…”

Please pray that I have the strength, for I need your help.

8 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalaamu alaikum

Get over it and try to get preg.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger mystic-soul said...

Yes..say it loudly...there is no middle way !!

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Aisha said...

I will pray for you Baji. Hang in there.

Pregnancy. A dear friend of mien was in your shoes. She was 28 and he was 26 and just didnt feel ready. He agreed to do it for her. He is a great father now and loves his child completely. Its not like your husband never wants tkids. That would be a different story. He does, but not now. He does not understand that unlike men women have a finite period of time to do this. If you want childen and you lvoe your husband and know that he will be your husband for the future, I dont see any harm in you saying "yes I do want children" I know you want assurance from him and for him to hug you and encourage you. But maybe he needs that now since you want it more than him. He will come around if he is the man you love and know him to be. I know that when its time for us to get pregnant, it will probably be me who will instigate it. But thats okay. My mom told me she also was the one as well. And honestly Baji, my dad was a great dad even though when he agreed to have me he totally wasnt wanting it as much as he could... he came through and is amazing. Dont be afraid b/c of his reaction.

Hang in there with your brother. Thinking of you dear.

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger mystic-soul said...

I agree 100% with Aisha !!

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

too many men are like that. they dont want kids until they come along. svend had to be talked into a baby too.

about the brother. wow. i know someone like that. her parent committed suicide and her brother is a continual fear in her heart. but sometimes his behaviour is so destructive and negative that she HAS to get away - but always has guilt.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Baji said...

Wow, thank you everyone for your words or wisdom and kindness. It seems that the general consensu I hear from everyone is that the man is rarely ever 100%ready. DH even said soemthing to that effect-that I am the one who needs to be 100%, not him. Me thinks he thinks I am not ready. But is any woman EVER 100%? I don't think so.

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Aisha said...

I doubt it. I thought we woud be. One thing for sure is that I FEEL it. I WANT it in my heart. But in my head I dont fee ready. I dont know if the head ever gets ready. I mean, there are so many things in our lives that could keep us from having babies. Sometimes you gotta follow your heart! :)

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am catching up on the blogs now. Chris was the same way. He swore up and down that he did not want children. Now he is the best dad. I was worried at first but I had no need. Things will probably work out the same way for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home