11.11.2005

June Day

I sit here "indian style" on the floor of what used to be my newlywed room. I called it the June Room because the color of paint is called June Day. It is Spring green on the cusp of Summer. It is very bright and anyone who knew me pre N, would have never guessed this color or this life that I have chosen.

The color, just as the purchase of this condo, just as the elopement to my husband were all very risky propositions. In the end, my MIL eneded up having my Nikkah jora stitched with the same "June Day" color. It is vibrant like my MIL. She had an old Urdu word that was used to describe the color of rice stalks before they mature. N doesn't even know the word, I'll have to ask my MIL again, because it is special to me. This green has since then become my favorite color and will always remind me of our humble, but daring beginnings.

Last night, after the last item had been loaded on the truck, N and I sat quitely observing the walls of the home we had together created. He exclaimed, "Baba, look at how far we have come." I cried. Lately, we have been passing ships in the night and it has been more like old married couple bickering to make this move happen then friends on a journey. He then went on talking about how this move was going to remind us of why we chose one another and bring us closer together. He said that he was excited about the journey and the new beginnings. We talked about the next three to four years and Inshallah, having children.

I told him that I wasn't feeling well physically and emotionally and despite his exhaustion, he said he would make dinner. He made Keema Pollack with dal and chaval. I was in heaven! This is the ultimate comfort food. It is without a doubt, my number one favorite. Who would have ever thought? So that reminded me of the question posed about how much of my dh's culture, religion, etc. have I incorporated in my life.

I love that topic. I think I could write for hours, but I won't bore you. I will put some thought into that and post in the next day or two. Off to pick up my babies (billys) from grandma's .

2 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Blogger Aisha said...

:) I understand how it is to leave a place you built your memoroes. I hateddddd Michigan. But when we moved out. I cried. Those days are so precious.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Dem Soldier said...

I hate moving.....moved so many times in my life, I feel for U...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home