1.31.2006

Ethics of Photojournalism and Boycott

Today, I had the privilege of attending a very interesting lecture. While enjoying my time OFF work, I have been challenging myself to use my time wisely and actually do some things that I claim I would do "if only I had the time...” So now I have the time, there should be no excuses to waste it away.

I attended a lecture as part of a series titled "Tuesdays with the Scholars". I entered the room and was quick to note that there did not seem to be another person under the age of 60. Whoops! But, I decided to stay and I am glad that I did.

While filming pictures of the present-day Iraq, would you pick the picture of the child with severed limbs? Would you pick the picture of a human body so badly burned, the blob that remains looks like a burned garbage bag? Or, would you pick the picture of American army doctors operating on an Iraqi civilian? The presenter, a retired photo editor for a fairly large newspaper and adjunct professor, said he wanted to show the awfulness of war. He hates war and feels that we Americans are disillusioned by the reality of what our soldiers and the civilians witness each day. His editorial board chose the happy photo.

What do you think about showing dead bodies? Does it better situations by promoting pro-active change? Or, is it too insensitive? I think like many things, there needs to be balance. As long as photos are used ethically to tell an important story, then we need to see the images. If the photos are used as propaganda, or to sensationalize, or promote hatred and racism, then they should not be used. Consider this link for examples of what our newspapers are saying: http://www.journalism.org/resources

Also consider that not showing pictures is a form of censorship. Surprisingly, the US continues to drop in the world-wide rank of free press. What we don't know ends up hurting us in the end.

Another point to ponder is that of the use of propaganda. Consider this: President Clinton submitted 100 photos opps. to the AP in his eight years of service. President Bush loves to toot his horn. This self-loving egomaniac has already submitted 500 self-promos in his six years of service. What is the image that George wants the American people to see?

Finally, remember that we must be careful of how we digitally shape existing images and present them as real. It is unethical to alter a photo and present it as a fact, unless it is presented as a form of art.

*******************************

Check off my list. I went to the Halal grocery store by myself. In Ohio, the stores were mostly run by Palestinian FOBs. The men would often give cold stares and the women almost always stayed behind in the cars. After a few trials whereas my DH and I went shopping, we decided it was best that I did not assist in this chore.

Today's market was very cool. I did not feel out of place at all. I bought Halal pepperoni for the first time, YIPPIE! My market has pulled all of their Danish products as a result of the disrespectful cartoons of the Prophet. Have your markets done the same?

Good night.

2 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger Surviving said...

Would you mind emailing? I wanted to talk to you, if you don't mind.

Surviving(at)gmail.com

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger mystic-soul said...

Any journalism which falls to the constraints of patriotism is 'yellow' journalism. Journalist should have one objective - to show, speak and write truth - nothing but the truth, the whole truth !!.

(Good post)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home