1.18.2006

Modern Woman

Thank y’all for your responses. At this time, I am not sure whether or not I will be traveling to Pakistan. If I do, we will decide in February for a March trip. At this moment, I continue to look for a right job that I am passionate about and that will benefit my career path. If such a job does not present itself, then we will consider other options for me including travel and starting my family (Insh’Allah).

Even though I have only been there one time, I do think that I would feel more comfortable than not, staying with my in-laws (especially since it would likely be only a month or so). I have spent enough time with my MIL to trust that she would be very supportive. I thank Allah that I am blessed with such a wonderful family. I leave it up to him to guide me to my hubby's homeland.

My friend was here in my new home visiting. She is a friend from college. We had some wonderful times. Each time a person on my past comes into my life, I am reminded about how great my hubby is and how much I have changed over the years.

We had a heart to heart talk with my friend. She is struggling. She is 31, not married and very lonely. She and I talked about how we American girls were brought up with the ideas that we were to not be foolish and marry and have kids young. We are expected to go to college, build our careers and become strong, independent women. Sometimes, we don’t find our future spouses in college nor in our first jobs. Then one day, we wake up in our late twenties and scared about becoming lonely single spinsters without children. But, of course our college education and work experiences help to shape the people who we become and we can’t imagine our life without them.

It is tough to grow up as a woman in a lot of places. We must remember that it is also difficult in a modern and free society. Believe me, there are days that I wish that I could have started my family by now.

I also think about some families (some first generation American) that encourage their daughters to go to college, but really have no desire for the woman to work. These types of families want their daughters to learn and to have the security of a degree, but are more concerned about them marrying out of college rather than working.

I think that there needs to be a balance. Obviously marriage and family are more important than anything. I also know that being a mother is the hardest job. But, I struggle with the vision of a work force, government, social service sector, etc run by men only. There are differences between men and women and women add such a unique and much needed flavor to our society.

My hope is that our educated and hard-working women will find their loved ones who will support them through the beginning phases of her career and then transition into family-hood.

15 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well said.

Great posting.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger mystic-soul said...

Very well said.

Great posting.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Baraka said...

Salaams!

I'm thinking of going to Pak in the next couple of months too...maybe we can meet up! :) I'll be in Islamabad, iA.

I was brought up to be educated but not have a career & of my sisters I'm the only one who pursued one. Now that I can't work it raises a lot of questions of what I can do & who I am...it's very tough for women all around I think. To work or not to work, how to maintain a life balance, what kind of impact career decisions will have on children. The answers vary widely according to each individual's cicumstances.

I wish you great contentment in the path you choose.

Warmly,
B

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger koonj said...

It's tough.

I know my parents were obsessed with marrying me off, but also interested in my career - especially since they saw my sister get divorced and they wanted us to have a fallback option.

However, economic realities today make it very complicated to NOT work and raise kids. Living in the DC area, you can't imagine buying a house on a single income - unless you're REALLY wealthy. We want the flexibility to work or not, but few of us really have much of it.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Aisha said...

Great post. I read it earlier and had so many things I wanted to say. I guess I'm bubbling over with thoughts but dont want to crowd up your blog so I'll just say I agree with everything you say here regarding women.... and I have friends like your friend too.... and its sad to see them sad. Do you ever let it just get to you? I can get sad just thinking about it... *sigh*

Good post sis

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger J Lev said...

Salam Baji

I was going to comment on your last post and say that YES go for it!! I wish i could travel, but the opportunity hasn't presented itself. The fresh air and change of scenery is always welcome. :) So, if you do end up going i hope you have a really great time.

Im really struggling with this issue of career/motherhood. I know i'm quite a young mother, but just to think that i will never have a career or do anything meaningful is extremely depressing. I'd hate for my mind or my capabilities to stagnate. I have an overwhelming desire to learn and work to my full potential. But it's a heart-wrenching struggle, having to decide and compromise. At least for now, no more kidz for me! :)

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Baji said...

Hi mystic!

Baraka, I would love to meet such an awesome woman as yourself. I will keep everyone posted on my traveling status. Glad to hear that you had such a burden-free trip to So Cal.

Shabana Mir, that is great that your parents were suppotive of your career. My Mom still doesn't understand what I do or why.

Aisha, yes it is so sad. I wish all women could have their cake and eat it too. I don't have messenger. Maybe I should graduate to that mode of communication.

Um Mahtab, bless you for being a mother. You will no doubt be a lifelong scholar. You are clearly intelligent and will offer a lot within the family and out. Never give up the dream!

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger J Lev said...

Baji i swear, you are such a sweetheart. Thank you so much for your kind-hearted comments. What you just said really means a lot to me. :)

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Baji said...

We are going to miss you Um Mahtab.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger J Lev said...

Hey now!
I moved right here:
http://gulemahtab.blogspot.com/
I had some problems so i had to move and couldn't explain much on the front page. I'm sorry :P

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Aisha said...

where've you been? I miss your posts :)

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Baji said...

Aisha, I have so much to say. But, I have been fortunate to receive two back to back visitors. Now, my gal-pal dating back to high school is here.

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger Aisha said...

that sounds great :) Enjoy!

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger mystic-soul said...

Where are you?

in Pakistan?

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger que sera sera said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog. I have linked you on my blog hope you won't mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home