12.02.2005

Moving Forward

The next few months were pretty bad. My hubby was quite depressed. I was so scared and unsure in so many ways. Here we were married, but no one knew, so it really did not feel like a marriage. My hubby was still unable to work, so a lot of friends and family were giving me pressure about his not working, etc.

Later that summer, my dh's parents said that they were coming to visit. They were told before they came that we were married. His sisters and all others were so upset. They had not even thought that their brother was thinking about marriage and they did not get their opportunity to "pick a wife". Once I asked my hubby if his family had someone in mind for him to marry. He said no and that they thought he was too young and they had not thought about it, yet. He also said that in some ways his marrying me was better than marrying his college girlfriend. They were againt that union because she is of a different sect (shia).

So his parents are coming!!! My dh and I take my Mom out for breakfast to tell her, too. We wold her that we had married because of legal reasons. She was crushed I'm sure, but she did not show it. She supported it and said, "no one needs to know, now when are we having our wedding?" She wanted to see her daughter in the white dress and she didn't want anyone to know that, *gasp*, we had eloped. I was shocked. I think she may have enterained the thought that we were already married. Or, in some ways, we weren't "really" married- which I guess is arguable.

Pomp and circumstance is a funny thing.

So now the 'rents are coming to visit!!! I was so nervous. My dh and I had bought a condo (yes, before he was even working LOL) We had gutted the place and we were renovating it by ourselves. If you remember the earlier post, I mentioned that his parents had already stayed there on their previous visit.

I really did not want to buy the condo while all that was going on, but my hubby really wanted it. He felt that his parents never took him seriously. He felt that if they saw that he owned his own home and that he was fixing and repairing everything himself, etc., that they would see him as a man with a wife and a home.

The floor was half done, the walls were gutted and not finished and there were boxes everywhere. I was so nervous. I orgnized our friends to come help us ready the place. We pulled an all-nighter, trying to make our home presentable.

2 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Aisha said...

Wow. Your MIL did handle it gracefully much more gracefully than most desi MIL's (heck I dont have kids but if they sprung it on me, I might not handle it so gracefully!)... how old was your hubby at the time?

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger mystic-soul said...

i m listening and waiting for more !!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home