11.28.2005

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy belated Thanksgiving. I had a wonderful week with friends and family which is what I am most thankful for. My hubby’s 15 year old niece was with us for a week. We had so much fun. I feel bad, though, because we were so busy in the final stages of our move, that she had no choice but to help out (cleaning fridge, windows, etc.) But, she is such a good girl, she never complained. My hubby’s family is so sweet and down to earth and open minded, it never ceases to amaze me.

At one point of conversation, my niece said something to the effect that her cousin (who is first generation born-American) said “those Americans were acting so crazy buying up everything.” My niece, who is also American born, was relaying a story about how funny it is to them how crazy people can act when shopping the day after Thanksgiving.

Fair enough. I imagine people who shop the day after Thanksgiving are crazy, but they are “people” not “Americans”. I pointed this out. I asked her and my hubby when they think that people start feeling like they are the Americans that they technically are. She was so embarrassed and said that it was wrong for her to say something like that because it infuriates her when people tell her that she is not an American. I explained to her that it was harmless latent racism and that I wasn’t trying to make her feel bad, but was curious as to how first generation Pakistanis truly felt.

I think, like all generation before us that settled in America, it does take a couple of generations until one truly feels they are “American” first and then their parent’s or grandparent’s homeland is the root of culture. But, with prevalent racism in America around people of color and people who practice Islam; coupled with the fact that some new communities tend to be so close knit, it is hard to for individuals to define themselves.

Another point of interesting conversation was Thanksgiving. My niece, who has grown up in America loves Thanksgiving as my hubby does as well. We had a wonderful feast with my relatives inside my Aunt and Uncle's home. As always, each person was very careful to not include pork in any of the dishes. No the turkey was not halal and yes there was an abundance of alcohol, but we all tolerated one another, loved one another and in the end said a prayer of thanks to one God. We are a family, albeit a diverse family, but we are all thankful to our God for our family, health, COUNTRY, and freedom.

When we returned, my niece was chatting away with some of her Pakistani friends from school. They, too, are either American born or studying at American schools. She asked them what they did for Thanksgiving. One girl responded, "We don't celebrate Thanksgiving, remember!" As to suggest that my niece might have forgotten that they (either Pakistanis or Muslims, I'm not quite sure of the context of "they" in this one)don't celebrate Thanksgiving. My niece laughed because like I said, my sister-in-law has raised her and her siblings in America and they have always celebrated Thanksgiving.

I would be interested in hearing what anyone who might read this dull blog might have to say on this topic.

12 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger Aisha said...

I dont know if its racism... racism is when you despise one of another race, no racism is intended when one is distinguished as an American... we're distinguised all the time... how can we not incorporate it into our view of the world? "Where are you from" "Oh yeah you're from Pakistan" constantly (though i'm american born) over time you tire of correcting and you accept it b/c its easier. In my heart I know who I am. Still I dont like using it myself by saying "oh you know, American people they do this" b/c like you said I am an American and I do feel such.... we had turkey thanksgivings, etc.. but also realize that for many pakistanis, or first generations its not a tradition they grew up doing back in the motherland so it may seem artificial... for "americans" they have known this as fact since childhood so its a little different... I grew up with it and this thursday we didnt do the turkey dinner and it felt awkeard, i know i'll do it wiith my kids... but as far as your niece saying "the americans" thereby distinguishing herself... my question is how do you distinguish the mega culture from our micro culture? B/c its not just white people. It's a culture referred to and not a race since Americans are not one race but many.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Aisha said...

oh just re-read your last line, why on earth you do you call your blog boring? I love it.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger bellywalker said...

I must agree with Aisha -- this is most certainly not a boring blog! I am currently impatiently waiting for the next chapter of the story of your marriage...but that's an aside :-).

I think that one problem is that, in many people's eyes, American = WASP, or at the very least, White Christian. For those of us who do not fit that mold for one reason or another, those who are in the majority of the population often lump us out as another group. I am pretty much as American as anyone I know, but I'm a Korean-born adoptee into a pretty WASPy family, and for that reason, people who don't really know me tend to treat me like I'm not "American" (whatever their definition may be). No matter how Americanized you may be, when others start to consider you non-American, oftentimes a little part of you begins to agree, to separate yourself from this greater whole insofar as your identity goes. I have been guilty of this, myself, and I know little about the culture I was born into. I can understand completely how your niece and her friends, who did grow up knowing traditions of another culture, and having a mixed ethnic background ("ethnic" not equal to "race", but rather referring to cultural values and norms), can make such comments while thinking so little. Whooo. That was a lot longer than I intended. Anyway, I do enjoy your blog. :-)

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger bellywalker said...

*and that was supposed to be "...make such comments while thinking so little about it."

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger mystic-soul said...

I believe its an assimilation issue: It is true that it takes 2/3 generations to get completely assimilate in given culture. Thanksgiving is not a religious holiday, which is good. About 5/6 years back we were roaming in car on thanksgiving day with a newly arrived friend from Pakistan trying to locate a restaurant for turkey dinner. And he was not sure why we are doing it. Personally, I don't like turkey meat but hey this thanksgiving a co-worker made the best turkey I ever had.

There are many other issues around this: One american-indian co-worker once commented to me - its a sad day in our history !!

Its not limited to muslims but all newly arrived (FOB as in slang) for decades see things as "American" and "us". Interestingly, I didn't see this thing much in Canadian society or to lesser extent. What tells me that both parties having hard time getting acceptance but assimilation is part of nature and bound to occur. I am more American today as I was 13 years ago and I feel proud when my son says - hey its our flag!!. After 9/11 like all other muslims I had hard time comprehending my place in this society but one doctor friend who is in this contry for 30 years said with confidence and I acknowledge it today that - this country's forefather have created this country on check and balance and be assured you are free.

One of my cousin's wife was canadian-french and at one dinner she kept saying ..."these americans" !! (I felt very offended).

(AND NO YOUR BLOG IS NOT BORING - I CHECK IT EVERYDAY FOR UPDATE)

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger J Lev said...

Hey! I just wanted to say thanks for dropping by my blog and for your kind comments. :) I'm catching up on your entries and i'm enjoying it very much.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Baji said...

Aisha, Rehtwo, Mystic-soul, and Um Mahtab: Thank you for reading and commenting. I'm sorry I haven't reponded earlier, but I was busy with moving.

I hesitated when I used the word "racist". I knew that it may stir up some very negative feelings and images. But, I don't think that one word should do that.

I know that each and every human being has racist thoughts and feelings of sorts and it is natural. I like to talk about them and dispel myths by learning from one another rather than hide them.

Thank you for sharing your stories. I hope that we can discuss this subject more.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Aisha said...

I see what you're saying Baji. I used to term people who say such things as racist as well.... I did some coursework in diversity education and we learned in great deal about racism and how it works. I know it sounds silly (it did to me when I first heard it) but you can' tbe racist against a mega culture. Racism is a form of oppression. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism has a little bit of what I'm talking about on there. I'd say that to term what desis do is easily defined as having biases and stereotypes. Both are wrong as well.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger mumtahanah said...

i don't think it racism either. it moreso seems to be a realization about culture. i do think it is racism sometimes though, like when my son spent last summer in egypt. he would call home so upset because people would straight up make bias statements to his face (americans are this, americans are that--even his teacher) calling him american, like people over here use the 'n' word.

so far as thanksgiving, i am born and raised muslim in america, and i do not honor this day. i am african-amer. with cherokee and mohawk blood, and personally i see it as disrespectful to my ancestors, considering the history. it would be like celebrating a thanksgiving day that surrounded the euros making 'friends' with the africans (we know how THAT turned out).the same things were done to the native americans, and the story has not yet ended. i get the whole 'being thankful for what you have' thing, but that's why we try to focus on that-and have family gatherings- throughout the year. well, that's just my $.02...

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Aisha said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotypes

I think stereotypes is the real situation. If you read the definition it sounds like what was the heart of the frustration with your neiece saying "americans do this that" I agree whole heartedly that ALL of us have stereotypes and we should work to correct them. I dont think all of us have racism though. We just can't as a matter of fact.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Baji said...

Wow, GREAT comments! Aisha, thank you for the wikipedia link- very thought-provoking. I guess I should apologize for misuse of the word racism, which would have been more or less a stereotype. Something I know that I am certainly guilty of, but always open to a challenge and to learning :-)

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Baji said...

something mu, thank you for reminding us the negative side of what Thanksgiving might symbolize.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home